Friday, December 26, 2008

Santa's identity


Ever since we had our own home and Christmas tree, its been our tradition to open gifts on the morning of December 25. The kids really look forward to this and I think the element of suspense and surprise in waiting for Christmas morning to open them makes it really special. Each year, Santa's gift would be the most awaited. This is probably because Santa's gifts always come on Christmas morning itself when they the kids don't really have time to shake, feel, peak and try to guess whats inside :-).

This year has been a bit tough for Santa - who thinks its become more and more dificult to stay unidentfied. Nico, who's just recently discovered (around 2 years now, i think) Santa's true identity had to pretend he doesn't know who he is for Julia' sake. He's not doing a good job of it and often makes meaningful faces whenever the topic of Santa pops up. Also, Julia, who's just lost her first tooth this year, had been disillusioned when her Kindergarten teacher told her that tooth fairies aren't real. I'm thinking, it won't be long until she discovered the same thing about Santa, thus the apprehension.

I wasn't sure how to go about it especially when Julia started to make comments and reactions after opening Santa's gift.
Julia gave me a big surprised but happy look when she first opened Santa's gift. I wasn't sure what she meant until she explained that one of the Sanrio notebooks Santa gave her was the same one we gave her cousin. Oops...I forgot that she'd be able to see what I wrapped for her cousin.

Later on that the day, Julia commented that there was a trace of price tag on the notebooks. "Santa removed the price tags.", she mentioned. Then she said, "Mom, Santa bought this from the store. Maybe he's shopping when we're sometimes at the mall and we just dont recognize him." I responded by saying, "Maybe its the elves who does the shopping for him."

It was so much easier to go about these things with Nico before. Probably because Nico was half as perceptive as Julia at her age now. Imagine Julia, who had to ask what was inside the wrapped packages I prepared, who knew all the designs of wrappers I had at home, who insists on helping me with wrapping, who patiently watches me after I tell her she cannot help and you'll understand what I'm talking about. From the way she phrases questions and make comments, I wouldn't be surprised if she figures things out before next Christmas.

I'm running out of creative ideas to keep Santa's identity safe. Any suggestions?


2 comments:

The Sweet Life said...

A Very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to You and Your Family!!!

SASSY MOM said...

At one point, you're gonna really run out of ideas. Me, I just realized one Christmas that my kids do not believe that's Santa's real. No biggie!